- Douglas J. Amy. Real
Choices / New Voices
- Identifies Winner-Take-All elections as the fundamental cause underlying
many of the problems that face American society today, and shows how
a systems of proportional representation used in other democracies around
the world give people a greater voice in their democracy, so they have
the tools they need to solve their problems.
- Jared Diamond. Collapse:
How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
- Chronicles the downfall of civilizations who destroyed the very ecosystems
that sustained and supported them, and rings a warning bell for our
- Al Gore. An
- The facts about global warming, presented in a manner that is
impossible to deny. (For a really vivid picture, see the movie.)
- David Cay Johnston. Perfectly
Legal: The Covert Campaign to Rig Our Tax System to Benefit the Super
Rich -- And Cheat Everybody Else.
- The government don't have the money for social security, universal
health care, or needed research. Here's why. Details the tax havens,
loopholes, and frauds that corporations and the super rich are using
to excape taxes and foist the bill for our infrastruture onto working
- Thom Hartman. Unequal
Protection: the Rise of Corporate Dominance and the Theft of Human Rights.
- How we got where we are.
- Steven Hill. Fixing
- Stunning expose of the political system. Difficult reading, but highly
- Henry Milner. Civic
Literacy: How Informed Citizens Make Democracy Work
- Identifies proportional representation as a key ingredient to motivate
voter interest, along with good sources of voter information.
For example, Scandanavian countries subsidize politically-oriented newspapers
to provide that information.
- G. Bingham Powell, Jr. Elections
as an Instrument of Democracy
- How voting systems determine the kind of democracy we get -- a system
of proportional representation where everyone is represented to the
degree that they share common beliefs, or a system that forces you to
choose between two parties when neither one truly represents your beliefs.
- Ellen Schwarz and Suzzane Stoddard. Taking
Back Our Lives in the Age of Corporate Dominance.
- Wonderfully upbeat book that demonstrates how the corporate quest
for profit has worked to reduce quality of life, but which contains
dozens of tips for things you can do to take your life back.
- Micah Sifry and Nancy Watzman. Is
That a Politician in Your Pocket?: Washington on $2 Million a Day
- The skinny on money in politics, and the havoc it is wreaking on our
- David Sirota. Hostile
Takeover : How Big Money and Corruption Conquered Our Government--and
How We Take It Back
- Yet another exposé of the intrusion of corporate influence
intot he political system.
- Henry George. Progress
- The first clear exposition of the principles underlying a taxation
system that produces a fair and equitable society. The language is old,
but the ideas are timeless.
- Michael Hudson, G.J. MIller, Kris Feder. A
Philosophy for a Fair Society
- A succinct exposition of the ideas expressed by Henry George, expressed
in more contemporary language.
- Sally Fallon & Mary Enig, Nourishing
- A tremendous collection of traditional recipes from around the world,
with clear and concise explanations of their health benefits.