- In the daytime, do drills and forms facing south. In the nighttime, face
- Do drills and forms before midnight, not after.
- Yang energy is at maximum after moon sets, before sun rises. (Get up early
for best energy and maximum meditation!)
- My series of rotations from top to bottom, which takes about 3 minutes.
- Alternatively: Silk Reeling exercises.
Side to Side Squats
- Feet wide, angled out.
- Stay low as you shift weight from one side to the other
- Right hand passes under right arm, then out to side as arm and shoulder
twist to keep palm facing up
- Hand circles around and passes overhead, palm still facing up
- Body bends backward as right arm continues circling back to original position,
palm facing up throughout
- Do several times, then reverse the motion
- Repeat on left side
- A teacup balanced on the palm should spill no water
- I like to do this movement while moving side-to-side, to keep
- Right hand rises overhead, palm straight, as left hand stays open by side
- Right hand dips down the centerline and passes down right leg, going to
right foot as body sinks low on left leg
- The body tilts forward to get depth, but back is straight throughout
- Dantien twists back and forth. Arms hang loosely, following the motion.
- Occasionally, exhale forcefully, accelerating the breath and the motion,
bringing outside arm to center
- Just a few.
- Body is now warm and muscles are ready to elongate.
Taiji Sphere (ball)
Taiji "Sword" (clubbells)
Taiji Bang (rolling pin)
Taiji "Ruler" (carpenter's square)
Written up in 8 Energies:
- 4 Energies: Multiple repetitions until body is warm
- 4 Corners: Get body ready for action
These good as warmups and at the end of a session.
Dantien Rotations (6 directions)
- Rotate dantien up and out, back and in. Reverse.
- Rotate dantien left and out, back and right. Reverse.
- Rotate dantien left and up, right and down. Reverse.
- Stand with feet slightly wider than shoulder width, toes out in normal
- Inhale: Open hands cross, palms down, rise to forehead, palms
out, then separate and come down, wide apart.
- Exhale: Hands form fists and press to center, palms up, sinking to low
(top of thighs approach parallel to ground)
- Repeat many times. (On the order of, like, 36. But there's no need to count.)
- Finish by
Dantien Energy Circles
- Men: Left hand over right on dantien. (Left is Yang. "Yang embraces
Yin") Women: Right hand over left.
- If there were a clock on the tummy, start by rotating counterclockwise
- Circle 36 times, growing larger as you do. (Final 12 are largest)
- Reverse, circling backward, growing smaller as you do.
Use one of these to finish a session.
- Right palm in front of chest, palm facing to left
- Left hand hook, fingers pinching the needle, in small of back
- Feet shoulder width apart, sink to deepest possible depth.
- Repeat the syllables __, __, __, and __
Embrace the Dantien
- Men: Left hand over right on dantien. (Left
is Yang. "Yang embraces Yin") Women: Right hand over left.
- Relax eyes, so they close softly. Relax face. Relax lower back. Sink the