A sitting bench could be the most important part of your Yoga/Meditation practice! It makes Yoga easier for beginners, and helps advanced practitioners grow towards Lotus. Sit for extended periods without back pain. Do special exercises and asanas to develop the strength and flexibility needed to eliminate such pains, and to sit with perfect “meditation posture”. This book shows how make a bench, where to buy one, and how to use it.
Make Yoga Easier
Not everyone can get down to the floor–or get back up again. Not everyone can do the asanas (poses) without support. But most everyone can sit! That’s where the Yoga Bench comes in.
With a Yoga Bench, there is a variety of asanas you can do without being on the floor. And when you do want to get on the floor, the bench makes it easier to get there — and to get back up again!
Sit straight, Meditate, Grow to Lotus
In Hindi the word asan means “sitting place”. And of course, an asana is a Yoga pose or practice. So the original meaning of asana might have been, “practices done while sitting, to sit better”. But why sit? To meditate! It’s always been the goal of Yoga. Your practice should make it possible to sit long and sit strong! In fact, all over India there are pictures and sculptures of gods and ancient gurus sitting on a bench, a tree stump—even the back of a cow or tiger! The TreeLight Yoga Bench will develop your capacity to sit effortlessly and comfortably.
Improve your Yoga/Meditation practice
- You can easily sit in the ideal, upright posture — without back pain
- You won’t strain or slide off, even if you have limited flexibility
- A wide variety of sitting positions let you meditate longer and more deeply
- Get up and sit down as easily as a chair, change positions easily
- Support for standard asanas makes them easier
- Special asanas help you progress to Full Lotus
This book shows you
- Where to buy a bench, how to build one, how to set it up and use it.
- The 11 basic sitting positions, and 45 variations — not counting hand positions and hybrid variations
- Standard Yoga asanas using the bench and a Yoga Block for support
- Special asanas that build flexibility in the hips and legs (useful for joint rehabilitation)
- Plus a collection of exercises to build sitting strength, and advice on giving a class.
Best of all, the asanas and exercises promote internal energy flows — a great prelude to meditation. You sit comfortably with ease, poise, and clarity to enjoy the deepest experience possible. It’s a revival of the ancient wisdom of Yoga.
See the Yoga Bench page for details on the Yoga Bench, the Quick Start guide, and more.
To find out about Bench Yoga workshops, to get announcements for new books and articles, and for updates on the Yoga Bench and accessory products:
- Join the Keys2Yoga announcement group
- Follow Eric on Twitter: @ericTreeLight
- Send an email
- Support Eric on Patreon
About the Author
Eric Armstrong has spent 30 years in spiritual pursuits, including Hatha Yoga, training and teaching martial arts, exploring Tantra, and studying Raja Yoga. A former athlete and coach, he brings Western sensibilities to Eastern spirituality, creating a system that is at once deep and practical—one that focuses on the essence of Yoga: Samadhi, or a blissful sense of enlightenment.
Copyright © 2017, TreeLight PenWorks